Monday, July 31, 2017

Thankful

It's been an absolute whirlwind - graduations, traveling around the country, visiting friends, family, neighbors, saying goodbye with tears in my eyes. But now the dust has settled a tiny bit. I'm spending the evening brushing up on my biochemistry knowledge, furnishing my cozy apartment with bits of furniture collected from the sidewalks, and having a good talk with my new roommate about the past, the present, and the future.

I changed the title of my blog - at first it was about moving locations, because to me that was the big transition. After a little more reflection, I realized that first of all, I'd rather write somewhat anonymously - because this is the internet and I'll have patients, classmates, and professors. To exercise discretion, it's best to not mention specifically where I am. I also wanted to write about being thankful. I am overwhelmingly grateful to be at this point in my life and I don't want to forget that, especially when the hard times come (and they definitely will). This afternoon, strolling across campus by myself with an expensive new laptop that I felt somewhat frivolous about purchasing, I suddenly had those feelings of being a lost, dorky freshman all over again, especially when I went in the wrong building, had to ask for directions to the correct building, and tried to exit through the entrance. The staff at the front desk didn't even react. "People do that all the time, the exit is over that way," he drawled in a bored, southern accent. I still blushed. Someone was kind enough to hold the door open for me as I made my way out.

After I finally made it to the correct building, I walked by a student studying at a cubicle, a huge MCAT cram book spread across his desk. I couldn't help but say a short prayer of gratitude that those days were over for me. As I was getting help setting up my new computer with a tech person from the IT department of my school, we joked and chatted. He asked me what kind of school I was going into. I responded "I'm starting medical school here tomorrow." He said with sincerity: "Wow. That's great. Congratulations." As awkward, stupid, and out of place I was feeling, especially with all the computer jargon he was using going over my head, I couldn't help but appreciate his acknowledgement. Starting medical school is great.

As I sat on the bus home, I prayed again - thankful to be here at this time, thankful for everything - this opportunity, thankful to study and struggle and have very little money and learn to live on my own. Thankful to learn to budget all these items of my living - my time, my heart, and my money.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Always rejoice, unceasingly pray, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment