Since I’m from out of state, I knew that my family would not
be able to attend. I was able to invite a few families and friends from church.
Mostly, it was an honor to see my classmates receive their coats– 180
brilliant, kind, positive, hardworking, and inspiring people with the people
who love and support them. This day was a healthy reminder that although school
may be challenging, the goal is to practice medicine with compassion and
humility. We all came from different backgrounds and we’ll be together for four
years, working towards a common goal of being kind to ourselves, each other,
and to our patients – ultimately to be a great doctor. The community that my
program has provided has made the transition from sunny Southern California to
the South worthwhile.
That morning, I put on a special piece of jewelry. My great-grandmother
was a doctor and there were very few other woman in her medical school class. I
wore her bracelet, as a link to the past and a reminder that being a woman and
being a doctor requires sacrifices. It is a blessing and a privilege to have
this door opened to me.
I walked towards the performing arts center from the parking
garage by myself, unsure of where to go. I noticed a familiar face and followed
my immunology professor from a distance. I felt conspicuous and a little like a
fraud, choosing to carry my freshly pressed white coat over my arm rather than
wear it prematurely. To my surprise, almost every person who I passed by wished
me a sincere and warm “Congratulations.”
After the ceremony, I took pictures with friends, mingled
with the saints who came to see me receive my coat, and was even invited to
lunch with a classmate and her family. However, I instead went home to sooth my
soul with kimchi, rice, and a video call with my parents to update them. I
baked a peach cobbler with peaches I got from the farmers market and finished
cleaning my apartment. I went to the store to get baking supplies and got
grass-fed, organic butter for free due to a price mislabeling. I saw the most
beautiful butterfly on the sidewalk. A stranger spontaneously told me “You’re
number one!” and made me laugh. My friend invited me to go bowling, so I went
out with a group and got sandbagged. Evidently most of them had taken a bowling
PE class in their undergrad, which is not offered at UC Berkeley. Even being repeatedly defeated at bowling and
air hockey didn’t dampen the excitement of the day. We all went back and ate my
peach cobbler with homemade ice cream and practiced physical exam skills on
each other. That means we pulled out our stethoscopes used a blood pressure
cuff to take each other’s blood pressure and pulse, checked reflexes with a
little rubber hammer and tuning fork, and used an otoscope to examine nose and
ears.
I have to say – these ordinary days are really enjoyable.
Church life, studying, exercise, as long as I keep my priorities, the supply is
there. I had somewhat been dreading this day, because I knew that it might be
hard to be reminded that I’m far from home and far from my family. Instead,
there was grace for the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment