Saturday, August 24, 2024

Starting a new adventure

I wanted to find some kind of outlet to write about doing something new - I'm traveling to Lilongwe, Malawi today to participate in a global health elective. I have some idea of what to expect, but how can I truly be prepared to travel to a country that is vastly different than where I have spent the vast majority of my life? There are so many mixed emotions - fear, excitement, gratitude, humility. There's a part of me that knows I will get horribly lonely and homesick. I'm anticipating that I will deeply miss some of the familiar things and people at home. At the same time, I'm deeply honored to have this opportunity. In the weeks leading up to this trip, I have considered how grateful I am to work in a hospital that emphasizes quality improvement, teamwork, good patient outcomes, diversity, equity, and inclusion. Hearing about some of the differences and lack of access to things that we take for granted (i.e. labor analgesia) makes me get less bothered by small things such as minor scheduling frustrations, interpersonal conflicts, or small amounts of chaos.

Traveling by myself gives me time to reflect and consider how much life has changed. I'm now 30 years old, I've been married for three years to the most amazing spouse. I have two very cute and fuzzy cats. 

My role model is still Tom Catena even though I could never do what he does. What a privilege it is to serve man and honor God.

No comments:

Post a Comment